Monday, June 21, 2010

Rare Meerschaum pipes in London antiques market


Until recently I had not fully appreciated just how many people treasured and collected old pipes. 

Then I met Michael Clements who runs a regular stall on one of London's best known antique markets and he explained to me how old pipes are so prized by collectors and in particular the fantastic carved Meerschaum pipes made from the rare fine clay. 


The highest quality Meerschaum (from the German - sea spray) is only found in sufficient quantities in two places in the world. 

Craftsmen have long prized this fantastic material and carved the most incredible and ornate pipes.

Over many years, as the pipes are smoked they take on a beautiful colour as the tars from the tobacco infuse the fine clay. For this reason older pipes are much prized by collectors. 



Michael explained to me that in many cases the pipes are waxed when they have been finished so that different parts of the pipe colour at different rates.

This can be clearly seen on this magnificent  example where the hat and clothes of this figure have been waxed and the face has coloured as the pipe has been smoked to create the most wonderful contrast.




Many of the very finest examples of Meerschaum pipes come in their own beautiful shaped wooden boxes, covered in leather and lined with velvet to ensure these masterpieces have a long life.



The craftsmen who made these pipes produced many weird and wonderful creations and I like to think that if Keith Richards were ever in the market for a pipe he would beat a path to Michael's door for this particularly wonderful example. 








Michael is one of London's foremost pipe experts and his stall includes many old and collectable pipes. 




His stall is only open on a Saturday but if you would like more details on his regular stall please contact Nic Wing via this blog

4 comments:

Matthew Haight said...

i had almost same pipe
does skull rest on cross bones
My great grand dad was a free mason who had owned it
my pipe was sold on me
wondered if this was a popular style

Matthew Haight said...

I had a pipe that looked just like this skull one
mine was darker orange and i think it sits on crossbones if it is same one
may be a popular design of that time period
was my great grand dads
contact: msh100@francis.edu

Paul said...

Hi Nic,
my Grandfather (97) tells me that his father made bespoke pipe cases in his workshop in Hammersmith for carved pipes. They where made of Russian Birch, Velvet lined and stamped London Made - he ran gold leaf line around the outside. He came to England from Vienna by request of a Mr Gluckstein. Does any of this ring a bell? My Grandfather has never owned a case made by his father (Josef Salzman) and I have never seen one. Can you help or the chap you mention help me locate one or provide any information? Thanks Paul

Paul said...

Hi Nic,
my Grandfather (97) tells me that his father made bespoke pipe cases in his workshop in Hammersmith for carved pipes. They where made of Russian Birch, Velvet lined and stamped London Made - he ran gold leaf line around the outside. He came to England from Vienna by request of a Mr Gluckstein. Does any of this ring a bell? My Grandfather has never owned a case made by his father (Josef Salzman) and I have never seen one. Can you help or the chap you mention help me locate one or provide any information? Thanks Paul